On Friday, October 4, Randolph Academy for the Performing Arts will swing open our doors and invite all interested students to spend a half-day with us. We’ll start the day at 10 a.m. with a short introduction and then immediately embark on a tour of the facility as well as observation of some classes in progress.
We’ll take a sneak peek at:
- a 3rd Year Musical Theatre Presentation class where students are working on musical solo repertoire
- two 2nd Year Cabaret classes where students are in the development stage of putting together various musical theatre pieces in the context of a themed “cabaret” which is showcased later on in the fall
- a 1st Year Theatre History class where students are exploring historical theatrical techniques from ancient Greece to the 20th Century
- an intermediate and advanced level Jazz dance class.
Following the class observations, Darlene Spencer, Artistic Director of the Randolph Academy, will facilitate an Acting Workshop for all Open House attendees. Improvisational exercises, the fundamentals of acting principals and audition technique will be explored in this participatory workshop. Please bring 5 to 10 lines of text from a monologue of your choosing, preferably a character of similar age and gender.
The instructors you will observe in the classes are:
- Jazz: Derek Sangster (jazz), “"one of Canada's most sought after dance instructors".
- MTP: Broadway veteran Mark Cassius and Donavon LeNabat (MTP)
- Theatre History: Actor/playwright Kevin Rees and Michael Reinhart (Theatre History)
After the workshop, lunch will be served during a short Q+A. The day will end at 2 p.m.
To book a space in the Open House please register here
If you have questions about the Open House please contact Meiyen Lee, Admissions Director, 416.924.2243, x 227.